Formulations?

  1. #1
    rlphelp
    Guest

    Formulations?

    Can excell calculate information for me and if so, how?

    I have a product that currently is used at 3% application...

    I would like to take this product and add another product to it at various
    rates. 5%, 4%, 3%, 2%, and 1%. The final product would still be used at 3%
    application. The two products vary greatly in cost. I need to calculate the
    final costs into this. Is there a program in excell that I can input these
    numbers and percentages into?

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Formulations?

    No, there isn't any way to do that in Excel, because what you seemingly want to do violates the
    principles of chemistry.

    Assuming I am reading your post correctly, you cannot add different percentage formulations to a 3%
    product and still get a 3% formulation.
    If you add a higher percentage product (say, the 5% product), your percentage will range from 3%
    (when you mostly have the first product) to 5%, when you mostly have the added product. There is NO
    way to get to 3%, either in total or for both at the same time (you could get to a 3% solution of
    the 5% product, but the original 3% product would be diluted below 3%). Likewise, if you add a
    lower percentage (say 1%), your percentages will range from 3% down to 1%, depending on the ratio of
    the products.

    Just to add a little weight to my argument ;-), my belief is based on my having BS and MS degrees in
    Chemical Engineering.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    rlphelp
    Guest

    Re: Formulations?

    Okay, I apparently was not clear. Thank you for letting me know. I
    understand that the original product would not stay at 3%. Product X's
    application is currently added at 3% and Product P's application is currently
    added at 0.2%. I'd now like to combine these two products and form a new
    product with the total addition to the final amount still remaining 3%.
    Product P would range from 95%-99% of the total (3%) and product X would
    range from 1-5% of the total (3%). My question is if this were to be done
    what would the new percentage of product X and product P be in the overall
    product? Addition of 3%PX (95%P and 5%X), (96%P and 4%X), and so on? Will
    this program enable me to figure those numbers?

    Thank you for helping me to clarify my problem Bernie Deitrick! Much
    appreciated!

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Formulations?

    rlphelp,

    Yes, you can calculate the final percentage of each component in the final mix. For example, let's
    say that you have two different products (Product1 and Product2), both made up of two items (Item1
    and Item2): Let's say that this table is entered in cells A1:D3

    Item1 Item2 Usage in Mix
    Product1 3.00% 97.00% 5.00%
    Product2 4.00% 96.00% 95.00%

    Then to get the final mix values