Can you open a new spreadsheet in a new program window?

  1. #1
    3R''s
    Guest

    Can you open a new spreadsheet in a new program window?

    The problem is that double-clicking a spreadsheet doesn't open a new instance
    of Excel, it opens it in the current one. Then when you click the close "x"
    in the upper right hand corner of the window, it closes ALL your workbooks,
    not just the current one. This is not consistent with the way Word works
    where opening a new Word document will open a whole new program window. Can I
    change a setting to make Excel behave like Word?

    I've tried this solution from [email protected] to no avail:

    "The answer involves changing the file association stuff in windows. Go
    to explorer, choose tools, then folder options. Click the File Types
    tab. Scroll down to the XLS extension. Click the Advanced button.
    Choose "open", then click the edit button.

    At the end of the "Application used" entry, you'll probably see: /e
    After this, add: "%1" (be sure to include the quotes.)

    Then uncheck the "Use DDE" checkbox. Then click OK. (Windows re-checks
    it at some point for some reason, but it still works)

    OK your way out of the file types dialog.

    Now when you double-click a spreadsheet, it will open it in a new
    instance of Excel. "

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Can you open a new spreadsheet in a new program window?

    Tools-->Options-->View and check Windows in taskbar.
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    3R''s
    Guest

    Re: Can you open a new spreadsheet in a new program window?

    It was already checked, but thanks for your reply!

  4. #4

    Re: Can you open a new spreadsheet in a new program window?

    This may help (or hurt).

    If you open files by double clicking on them in windows explorer....

    You could try:

    Tools|options|General tab|Ignore other applications (check it)

    Then double click on the workbook in windows explorer.

    And be aware that turning this setting on sometimes gives errors with workbooks
    that contain spaces in their path/name:

    C:\my documents\excel\my book.xls

    The error will look kind of like:
    cannot find c:\my ..
    then
    cannot find documents\excel\my
    then
    cannot find book.xls

    Or it may just open excel and not show you the file that you clicked on.

    (I'd just start another instance and then file|open the workbook.)