Find Discrepancies between Worksheets

  1. #1
    Erin
    Guest

    Find Discrepancies between Worksheets

    I have 2 worksheets that should be identical (merged cells, colors/borders,
    number formats...), but when I try to paste values from one to the other, it
    kicks it out because merged cells are not identically sized. Obviously,
    there is some discrepancy in the thousands of cells of formatting.

    Is there a way to compare the 2 worksheets and come up with a list of what
    is different?

    It's a long story why I can't just overwrite the one, but please just trust
    that one sheet cannot be changed at all and the other is an output from a
    database that I do not have access to and so have to give the administrator a
    list of changes to be made.

    Thank you for any help!

    Erin

  2. #2

    Re: Find Discrepancies between Worksheets

    Maybe you could use a program written by Myrna Larson and Bill Manville.

    You can find a copy on Chip Pearson's site:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/whatsnew.htm
    look for compare.xla

  3. #3
    Erin
    Guest

    Re: Find Discrepancies between Worksheets

    Wow - very cool, but I still need more information. This only checks values,
    formulas and number formats...I need more. I think I could get away with
    this and a list of where merged cells don't line up, but colors/lines would
    also be very helpful.

    Thank you for your help! Believe me, I will keep this add-in handy!

    Erin

  4. #4

    Re: Find Discrepancies between Worksheets

    You can go through each cell looking for borders, but there are lots of things
    that could change--color, weight, style, position (top/bottom/left/right/both
    inside diagonals). Way beyond my interest!

    But to just check merged cells, you could use something like:

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme()

    Dim rptWks As Worksheet
    Dim wks As Worksheet
    Dim oRow As Long
    Dim oCol As Long
    Dim iCtr As Long
    Dim wksNames As Variant
    Dim myCell As Range

    wksNames = Array("sheet1", "sheet2")

    Set rptWks = Worksheets.Add
    rptWks.Range("a1").Resize(1, 2).Value = wksNames

    oCol = 0
    For iCtr = LBound(wksNames) To UBound(wksNames)
    oCol = oCol + 1
    oRow = 1
    Set wks = Worksheets(wksNames(iCtr))
    For Each myCell In wks.UsedRange.Cells
    If myCell.MergeArea.Cells.Count > 1 Then
    If myCell.MergeArea.Cells(1).Address = myCell.Address Then
    oRow = oRow + 1
    rptWks.Cells(oRow, oCol).Value = myCell.MergeArea.Address
    Next myCell
    Next iCtr

    With rptWks
    .Columns(2).Insert
    .Range("b1").Value = "On: " & wksNames(UBound(wksNames))
    .Range("d1").Value = "On: " & wksNames(LBound(wksNames))
    .Range("B2:b" & .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row).Formula _
    = "=isnumber(match(a2,c:c,0))"
    .Range("d2:d" & .Cells(.Rows.Count, "c").End(xlUp).Row).Formula _
    = "=isnumber(match(a2,a:a,0))"
    End With

    End Sub