How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

  1. #1
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    Hello
    How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

  2. #2
    sfby
    Guest

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    The Name manager add in is very useful...

    http://www.jkp-ads.com/OfficeMarketPlaceNM-EN.htm

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    Use the Name manager by Jan Karel Pieterse.
    You download it here:

    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    Thank you!
    "sfby" <[email protected]> ???????/???????? ? ???????? ?????????:
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    VBA

    Sub DeleteNames()
    Dim nme As Name

    For Each nme In ActiveWorkbook.Names
    nme.Delete
    Next nme

    End Sub

    Here is another way, previously posted by Norman Harker. But beware, it
    doesn't work with Excel 2003.

    And here's a best kept secret of Excel but it comes with a health warning.

    Tools > Options > Transition

    Check Lotus 123 Help
    Check Transition Navigation Keys

    Now:
    /RNR

    Removes every single name in the workbook!

    Beats doing them one at a time although you can use VBA or various Add-Ins.

    But it really ought to come with a health warning after the /RNR command as
    it can't be undone! And with many hundreds of names in a workbook

    Just close the Names dialog box when it comes up

    RP

  6. #6
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    This will do it.

    Sub DeleteAllNames() 'ALL sheets
    For Each Name In Names
    Name.Delete
    Next Name
    End Sub

    or

    Sub DeleteHiddenNames()
    Dim n As Name
    Dim Count As Integer
    For Each n In ActiveWorkbook.Names
    If Not n.Visible Then
    n.Delete
    Count = Count + 1
    End If
    Next n
    MsgBox Count & " hidden names were deleted."
    End Sub
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    [email protected]

  7. #7
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    The Name manager caused Excel to shut down without saving files. The error
    appeared when I tried to delete inoperable names.
    "Niek Otten" <[email protected]> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
    news:%[email protected]...

  8. #8

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    Be careful.

    Excel creates names that it uses (without your knowledge and without your
    permission).

    If you delete those names, you could be breaking something that excel needs.

    If I were you, I'd get a copy of Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and
    Matthew Henson) Name Manager:

    You can find it at:
    NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

    You can delete just the names you want pretty easily.

  9. #9

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    You may want to contact Jan Karel:
    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Contact.htm

    If the file doesn't contain any proprietary information, I'm sure he would like
    to have a copy (confirm with him first) so that he can see the problem.

    If the file does contain proprietary info, maybe you can clean it up so that the
    data is gone, but the problem is still there????

  10. #10
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    I do not try again yet.
    "Dave Peterson" <[email protected]> ???????/???????? ? ????????
    ?????????: news:[email protected]...

  11. #11
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    Thanks.
    How to know which names Excel created? What exactly could I be breaking that
    excel needs, if I delete those names?

  12. #12
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    They usually take the format of

    *_FilterDatabase
    *Print_Area
    *Print_Titles
    *wvu.*
    *wrn.*
    *!Criteria

    most will recreate next time needed, but not guaranteed.

    RP

  13. #13

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    I sent a message to Jan Karel. He would like to see your workbook.

    You can send it to him at: [email protected]

  14. #14
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    Thanks!
    What exactly could I be breaking that excel needs, if I delete those names?
    "Bob Phillips" <[email protected]> сообщил/сообщила в

  15. #15
    Dmitry Kopnichev
    Guest

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    Thanks!
    Does not publishing an e-mail address in a message a group cause spam to the
    address?

  16. #16

    Re: How to delete all defined names from a workbook?

    Jan Karel told me it was ok to post that address. (I would have munged it,
    too.)