Color a single digit in a mult-digit number cell

  1. #1
    Phyllis
    Guest

    Color a single digit in a mult-digit number cell

    Suggestion for Microsoft

    I would like to be able to format a single digit in a number cell that
    contains 2 or more digits. For example, if I type 346 in a cell, I would like
    to be able to bold or color just one of the digits, say the 3. The reason:
    to help me test a theory. If the solution to a problem could be either a 3,
    4, or 6 in a given cell, I migth want to test the theory that it's the 3. If
    I could color the 3 in the cell containing 346, and then color the resulting
    answer in other cells, I could track all the changes I made to test the
    theory without erasing the other possible variables incase my theory is
    wrong. Yes, I confess, it's to help me solve a five-star (highest
    difficulty) Sudoku puzzle.

    Other suggestions for testing a theory without eliminating the variables are
    welcome. Programming an IF logic sequence would be too complex. (I've tried
    just bracketing the theoretical numbers, but it gets clumsy, confusing and
    cumbersome.)
    --
    PT

    --
    PT

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2
    Martin P
    Guest

    RE: Color a single digit in a mult-digit number cell

    It seems to me that you cannot change the colour of a single digit in Excel.
    If you change one, then you change them all. A suggestion is to copy the
    cells to Word and use Edit, Replace. In Find What type 3. In Replace With do
    not type anything but choose something under Format (for example Font Color
    or Highlight or both). Do not enable Wildcards.

  3. #3
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Color a single digit in a mult-digit number cell

    Martin

    I couldn't understand the original post unfortunately, but you can change a
    single character in excel. Just highlight it in the formula bar, format how
    you want, bold, underline,colour, etc and voila!

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Color a single digit in a mult-digit number cell

    But that only works on text (or numbers treated as text).

  5. #5
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: Color a single digit in a mult-digit number cell

    Ref Nick's solution.

    I would think numbers treated as text would be okay for a Sudoku puzzle
    since the numbers don't have to represent any particular value, so to speak,
    it's just the order that's important. A Sudoku puzzle could just as easy
    use the first nine letters of the alphabet. Although on my Excel Sudoku
    solver helper I made, I sum the number to see if all rows = 45, but of
    course that's not necessary.

    Howard

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Martin P
    Guest

    Re: Color a single digit in a mult-digit number cell

    I have done that with superscripts and subscripts, but am not aware of a way
    in Edit, Replace so that it can be done en masse. (I have no idea what Suduko
    is about).

  7. #7
    exceluserforeman
    Guest

    RE: Color a single digit in a mult-digit number cell

    Public Sub ColorMyCellDigits()
    Dim intLen, i As Integer
    If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then
    Exit Sub
    End If
    ActiveCell.Select
    Set A = Selection
    intLen = Len(A.Value)

    For i = 1 To intLen
    If Mid(A.Value, i, 1) = 3 Then
    A.Characters(i, 1).Font.Bold.Color = vbRed

    End If
    Next

  8. #8
    Troy Michigan
    MS-Off Ver
    office 365

    Re: Color a single digit in a mult-digit number cell

    Yes you can color last digit or last two-three digits in excel, all you need to do is to format numbers as text then hilight the digits and change color.
    home it helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Europe
    MS-Off Ver
    Office365

    Re: Color a single digit in a mult-digit number cell

    FGaxha,

    Did you reply to a post from 2005???
    That is, since 17 years ago.