Excel Moving sheet between workbooks takes forever on some workstations

  1. #1
    John M. Mach, MOUS Master, MCSC
    Guest

    Excel Moving sheet between workbooks takes forever on some workstations

    We have two workbooks. One we call Current and one we call Archive.
    Once a week we want to move sheets from the Current workbook to the Archive
    workbook.
    When we do that, it can take 15-20 minutes to do the procedure, whether we
    have 3 sheets or 30 sheets to move.
    We have identified two workstations where this happens. We have another
    workstation where we can do the same procedure and it only takes 1-2 minutes
    max.
    I am stumped as to why the same file behaves so differently on different
    workstation. All have the same version of Office.
    Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this? How did you solve it?
    Any help is appreciated.

    TTFN
    JMMach

  2. #2
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Excel Moving sheet between workbooks takes forever on some workstations

    John M. Mach, MOUS Master, MCSC wrote...
    >We have two workbooks. One we call Current and one we call Archive.
    >Once a week we want to move sheets from the Current workbook to the Archive
    >workbook.
    >When we do that, it can take 15-20 minutes to do the procedure, whether we
    >have 3 sheets or 30 sheets to move.

    Are you really *MOVING* the worksheet between workbooks? If so,
    consider copying them to the archive workbook then deleting them in the
    current workbook.

    What sort of formulas are there in these worksheets? Do they refer to
    ranges in other worksheets, both worksheets also being copied and not?

  3. #3
    JMMach
    Guest

    Re: Excel Moving sheet between workbooks takes forever on some workstations

    I am moving the worksheets (select sheets, right-click on the sheet tab,
    select Move or Copy (copy turned off), select destination workbook and
    insert position, click OK)
    Formulas have been replaced with their corresponding values using copy and
    paste special, values.
    What are you thinking the cause might be?
    Thanks
    TTFN
    JMMach

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Excel Moving sheet between workbooks takes forever on some workstations

    "JMMach" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >I am moving the worksheets (select sheets, right-click on the sheet tab,
    >select Move or Copy (copy turned off), select destination workbook and
    >insert position, click OK)
    >Formulas have been replaced with their corresponding values using copy and
    >paste special, values.
    >What are you thinking the cause might be?

    So the worksheets you're moving are only values. Are the worksheets
    remaining only values, or do they contain formulas? If they contain
    formulas, do any of those formulas contain references into the worksheets
    you're moving? Are there any defined names?

    Moving worksheets as opposed to copying them involves much more work on
    Excel's part because it needs to maintain formula references into and out of
    the moved worksheets. Copying worksheets only involves duplicating
    references out of the copied worksheets. Just see if copying them then
    deleting the originals takes any less time.

  5. #5
    JMMach
    Guest

    Re: Excel Moving sheet between workbooks takes forever on some workstations

    I have not yet acted on your suggestion to copy and then delete, to see what
    difference that makes.
    But the real question is: Why is one box (Workstation) able to do it in less
    than 2 minutes, and another box (identical hardware, Win2K SP4 and
    Office2000) takes 15-20 minutes to do the same operation?

  6. #6
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Excel Moving sheet between workbooks takes forever on some workstations

    JMMach wrote...
    >I have not yet acted on your suggestion to copy and then delete, to see what
    >difference that makes.
    >But the real question is: Why is one box (Workstation) able to do it in less
    >than 2 minutes, and another box (identical hardware, Win2K SP4 and
    >Office2000) takes 15-20 minutes to do the same operation?

    The only two purely hardware reason I can think of that two supposedly
    identical PCs would take greatly differring time for the same task
    would be flaky RAM in one machine that Windows has detected but not
    reported that might lead to using virtual memory or a faulty cache on
    the slower machine.

    Far more likely is that the two machines aren't actually identical in
    what software, especially background services, they're running in
    addition to running Excel. Overly intrusive antivirus software or so
    many background services running that Excel needs to page virtual
    memory would be suspects on the slower machines. Spyware/adware could
    also be a culprit.