How do I get Excel to recognise dates prior to 1/1/1900 ?

  1. #1
    Gazz
    Guest

    How do I get Excel to recognise dates prior to 1/1/1900 ?

    As title asks. Family Tree information finds some earlier dates fail to be
    recognised and formatted as such.

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: How do I get Excel to recognise dates prior to 1/1/1900 ?

    Excel does not recognize pre-1900 dates as other than text. You might check
    out this add-in from John Walkenbach which will help:

    http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/xdate.htm

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: How do I get Excel to recognise dates prior to 1/1/1900 ?

    See http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip028.htm

    Always type full question in the message space not the subject line

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: How do I get Excel to recognise dates prior to 1/1/1900 ?

    I would recommend that you use text so that they will not change; however,
    if you want to risk using a macro John Walkenbach wrote
    Extended Dates routines

    Excel does not recognize dates before Jan 1, 1900 and mishandles leap year in 1900
    so for simply calculating date differences (age) you might use John Walkenbach's
    XDATEDIF Extended Date Functions Add-In, instead of DATEDIF, eliminating problems
    with negative dates involving subtraction in MS date system and incorrect leap years in
    older MS 1900 date system.
    http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/xdate.htm

    You calculations can be further complicated by when a country switched calendars.

    HTH,

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I get Excel to recognise dates prior to 1/1/1900 ?

    Gazz

    See John Walkenbach's site for working with dates prior to 1900.

    Download his Extended Date add-in.

    http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q...6ae-sp00000000

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: How do I get Excel to recognise dates prior to 1/1/1900 ?

    Excel's normally formatted dates only go back that far. You can use custom
    add-ins or just use Julian dates ( without fancy formatting and support
    functions.
    --
    Gary's Student

  7. #7
    Gazz
    Guest

    RE: How do I get Excel to recognise dates prior to 1/1/1900 ?

    Thanks all. Lots to go on there.

    Not expecting dates to change as they're not used in calculations.
    That column just indicates briths, marriages, deaths, etc..

    Might be better in a database really, but I'm more used to Excel.

    Will look up the links etc. this evening.

    Cheers

  8. #8
    Gazz
    Guest

    Re: How do I get Excel to recognise dates prior to 1/1/1900 ?

    Ah ha ! Took a while to work though the "Insert / Function / Date&Time"
    stuff, think the diagram is for an earlier version of Excel.

    Doesn't work automatically I see, has to be entered
    =XDATE(year,month,date,"format"), but hey ! It works :-)

    A quick Global Replace should sort things out : sorted, thanks.

  9. #9
    Gazz
    Guest

    Re: How do I get Excel to recognise dates prior to 1/1/1900 ?

    Ah and I have now discovered how to send a reply to one and not all :-)

    Live & learn.