Guide:help

  1. #1
    TONY
    Guest

    Guide:help

    I have a column in an excel sheet (max 65000 rows) which contains text. I
    want to strip off the first word of the text string and place this into a
    different column leaving the rest(minus this one word) in the original
    column cell. in toal i have 85000 records and doing this by hand will take
    for ever. Once this is done I will transfer all records to an access
    database.

    can some one please give me a guide on how to go about doing this

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    re: Guide:help

    In an adjacent column

    =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))

    and copy down.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    TONY
    Guest

    re: Guide:help

    dear Bob thank you for the help.
    this answers part of my problem perfectly ..it strips off the first word.

    i would like to put the first word in column 'C' in column "a" and the
    remainder of the text (minus the first word into column 'B' your
    suggestion does the second part perfectly. can you suggest how i now get
    just the first word of the text into column 'A'

    many thanks

    Tony

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    re: Guide:help

    How about

    =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1)),""))

    Peo Sjoblom

  5. #5
    TONY
    Guest

    re: Guide:help

    Peo,
    a million thanks... my problem now solved..

    best wishes

    Tony
    news:[email protected]...