Conditional Formatting question...

  1. #1
    Dino
    Guest

    Conditional Formatting question...

    Is there a way to have Excel look in a particular cell, and if the value in
    the cell meets a requirement (such as Complete), then shade the entire row a
    different color? I can use conditional formatting to get the one cell
    shaded, but I can't get the rest of the row to be shaded.

    Thanks!
    Dino

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formatting question...

    Try using an absolute reference in your Conditional Format formula. For
    example, if the cell that contains the value "complete" is A1, then refer to
    it as $A$1.

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Hi Elkar, Dino,

    I usually have trouble conditionally shading a row (or multiple cells) unless I re-edit the stated formula and remove added quotes, thus, selecting a number of cells (across a row etc) and setting the conditional format to

    Formula
    =$A$2="Complete"

    I then have to re-edit that formula which shows as ="$A$2="Complete""
    back to =$A$2="Complete"

    The alternative seems to be that you set the condition to Formula, and then use the 'Conditional Formating - Value' dropdown, select the condition cell, then type in ="Complete"
    and press Enter.

    Obviously something I am not doing correctly, or a bug in the setting, but it does work after removing the un-required quotes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elkar

  4. #4
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formatting question...

    Select the rows you want highlighted (in my example use highlight row 1) and
    goto format->conditional formatting. select "Formula is" and use something
    like
    =$A1=1
    as your formula. Include both equal signs. This will highlight the whole
    row if the cell in column A is equal to 1. This should at least point you in
    the right direction.

  5. #5
    Sloth
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting question...

    I believe you only have to do that if you forget the first "=". At least
    that is the only time I ever have to do delete the quotes.

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Thanks Sloth, that looks correct, although I thought I had typed =$A$2="Complete" as per my post.

    Hopefully the OP will get it working too.

    [QUOTE=Sloth]I believe you only have to do that if you forget the first "=". At least
    that is the only time I ever have to do delete the quotes.

    [color=blue]