Foreign Exchange

  1. #1

    Foreign Exchange

    With Excel 2003, is there a way to have a cell automatically update the foreign exchange rate of yen to British pounds from the internet, and then use that cell to do calculations?

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Foreign Exchange

    Here's something to get you started:

    Open a new workbook
    On Sheet1, enter the following:
    A1: FromCurrency
    B1: CAD

    A2: ToCurrency
    B2: USD

    A3: FromAmount
    B3: 10000

    A4: ToAmount
    B4: =I3

    Next:
    Copy the below VBA code into a workbook module
    (Note: I listed all of the options so you can play with the code)

    '---Start of code
    Option Explicit

    Sub ConvertFX()
    Dim FromCurr As String
    Dim ToCurr As String
    Dim FromAmt As Currency
    Dim ToAmtLoc As String
    Dim URL2Use As String

    With ActiveSheet
    FromCurr = .Range("B1").Value
    ToCurr = .Range("B2").Value
    FromAmt = .Range("B3").Value
    ToAmtLoc = "A4"

    URL2Use = "URL;http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=" _
    & FromAmt & "&from=" _
    & FromCurr _
    & "&to=" & ToCurr _
    & "&submit=Convert"

    With .QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
    URL2Use _
    , Destination:=Range("E1"))
    .Name = "Convert_Currency_Result"
    .FieldNames = True
    .RowNumbers = False
    .FillAdjacentFormulas = False
    .PreserveFormatting = True
    .RefreshOnFileOpen = False
    .BackgroundQuery = True
    .RefreshStyle = xlOverwriteCells
    .SavePassword = False
    .SaveData = True
    .AdjustColumnWidth = True
    .RefreshPeriod = 0
    .WebSelectionType = xlSpecifiedTables
    .WebFormatting = xlWebFormattingNone
    .WebTables = "15"
    .WebPreFormattedTextToColumns = True
    .WebConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne = True
    .WebSingleBlockTextImport = False
    .WebDisableDateRecognition = False
    .WebDisableRedirections = False
    .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
    End With
    End With
    End Sub
    '---End of code

    Now, from the vb menu: Debug>Compile
    to see if there are any errors.
    If no...continue, below

    Go to the Sheet1
    Tools>Macro>Macros
    Run: ConvertFX

    If all goes well, the query results should appear in cells E1:K3 and cell B4
    (the ToAmount) should display 8413.967 (the current conversion from Canadian
    Dollars to US Dollars for 10,000.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Foreign Exchange

    If the only currency conversion you ever want to do is from JPY to GBP, then

    Data>Import External Data>New Web Query
    -Use this website:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/co...submit=Convert

    -Select the table in that site with the conversion rate

    Once you get the results in Excel, you can set up formulas that reference
    the Fx rate.
    Whenever you want to get the latest rate, right click on the results range
    and select Refresh Data

    Does that help?

    Regards,
    Ron

  4. #4
    dallas
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: Foreign Exchange

    This thread helped me a lot!.. I was banging my head in trying to figure this out. Thanks!