alphabet as Numbers?

  1. #1

    alphabet as Numbers?

    I want to associate letters of the alphabet with numbers so that when a letter is put in a cell, a numerical value can be associated. Sort of like a phone pad-I want it so that you could put the letter in a cell and a designated number would automatiocaly show up in another cell. Is there a way to create a formula that can do this? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Loriandme69
    I want to associate letters of the alphabet with numbers so that when a letter is put in a cell, a numerical value can be associated. Sort of like a phone pad-I want it so that you could put the letter in a cell and a designated number would automatiocaly show up in another cell. Is there a way to create a formula that can do this? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Hi Loriandme69

    You could create a lookup table with the letters a-z and the corresponding numbers

    and then use the LOOKUP function to to return the corresponding numeric value when a letter is input
    Paul

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: alphabet as Numbers?

    In B1 enter this formula

    =CHAR(A1 + 96)

    Enter a number from 1 to 26 in A1

    If numbers were not 1 through 26 you could use a VLOOKUP table.

    Enter numbers in A1:A26

    Enter letters a through z in Column B

    In C1 enter a number

    In D1 enter this formula =VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$26,2,FALSE)

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: alphabet as Numbers?

    > I want to associate letters of the alphabet with numbers so that when a
    > letter is put in a cell, a numerical value can be associated. Sort of
    > like a phone pad-I want it so that you could put the letter in a cell
    > and a designated number would automatiocaly show up in another cell. ...

    One way is to use VLOOKUP.

    Get started by putting the settings on Sheet2.
    - Put the letters in column A of Sheet2.
    - Put the corresponding numbers in column B of Sheet2.

    If the letter goes into A1 on Sheet1, put this in B1 of Sheet1:
    =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)

    Depending on your case-(in)sensitivity needs, you might want to use UPPER()
    or LOWER().

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: alphabet as Numbers?

    Ooopps! Backwards.

    Go with the VLOOKUP table and switch the letters and numbers columns.

    Enter a letter in C1.

    Gord