'problem starting the Office Assistant'

  1. #1
    Eric
    Guest

    'problem starting the Office Assistant'

    Hello,

    I know this is slightly off-topic but...

    I'm using Excel from Office 2000 and am getting an error on startup
    which I'd really like to get rid of:

    - There was a problem starting the Office Assistant. Would you like to
    try installing it?

    I did try to re-install it but it didn't help.

    Any tips on how to get rid of this would be welcome!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: 'problem starting the Office Assistant'

    >From Excel, along the menu at top, click Help and de-select "Show the
    Office Assistant". I'm biting my tongue, trying to resist the urge to
    editorialize about THAT particular piece of code.

  3. #3
    Eric

    On 21 Nov 2005 18:51:30 -0800, "Dave O" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>From Excel, along the menu at top, click Help and de-select "Show the

    >Office Assistant". I'm biting my tongue, trying to resist the urge to
    >editorialize about THAT particular piece of code.

    Man I wish it would be that easy to fix it!
    Unfortunately Help does not have "Show the
    Office Assistant" as selected.

    And when I select "Show the
    Office Assistant" I get the error message referred to in my original
    message.

    This one goes a bit deeper than normal.

  4. #4
    Eric
    Guest

    Re: 'problem starting the Office Assistant'

    On 21 Nov 2005 18:51:30 -0800, "Dave O" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>From Excel, along the menu at top, click Help and de-select "Show the

    >Office Assistant". I'm biting my tongue, trying to resist the urge to
    >editorialize about THAT particular piece of code.

    Hi Dave,

    I figured it out though (with MS's help nonetheless!)
    I went into Setup Programs to Install/uninstall programs and selected
    Office 2000. I went in and found an option to deselect the Office
    Assistant there.

    I'm very relieved!
    Man was it starting to really bug me.