Table question

  1. #1
    Adam Kroger
    Guest

    Table question

    In excel how do you set up a table where you can recall data from it?

    A further explanation:
    This example is not exactly what I am trying to do, but the concept is
    accurate. If you envision a classic multiplication table, I want to be able
    to put 3 in one cell and 8 in another, then have excel reference the table,
    and return 24 in a third cell.

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Adam Kroger
    Guest

    Re: Table question

    Oops Should have mentioned I am working in Excell 97

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Table question

    It sounds like you may want to use =vlookup() or =index(match()).

    Debra Dalgleish's has some notes you may like:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
    and
    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

    "Adam Kroger

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Table question

    Hi!

    Take a look at this screencap:

    http://img275.imageshack.us/img275/6689/lookups6qk.jpg

    Biff

  5. #5
    Adam Kroger
    Guest

    Re: Table question

    Thank you, that is exactly what I am looking to do. In the fomula, if I
    <name> the the cell ranges that border the table (B1:I8 & A2:A8 in your
    example) "TOP" and "SIDE", will the formula =VLOOKUP(B12,SIDE,
    MATCH(B13,TOP,0)) return the same result?

    news:%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Table question

    Hi!

    Yes and no!

    You can't name just the "Side" column if you're using a multiple column
    table.

    You could name the entire table from A2:I9 and give it the name "Table".

    You can name "Top" and use that.

    Then the formula would be:

    =VLOOKUP(B13,Table,MATCH(B14,Top,0),0)

    If you were to use the Index/Match version, then, yes, you could use "Side"
    and "Top":

    =INDEX(Table,MATCH(B13,Side,0),MATCH(B14,Top,0))

    Biff