how do i sum a total in excel with numbers and text 58kg + 60kg

  1. #1
    Bryan
    Guest

    how do i sum a total in excel with numbers and text 58kg + 60kg

    I can't seem to find a formula to add a column of numbers that have text, e.g
    50kg+60kg+75kg won't add - can anyone help

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: how do i sum a total in excel with numbers and text 58kg + 60kg

    Whenever you need to use numbers and text together and also need
    computations, use custom formatting:

    Pick an empty cell and pull-down:
    Format > Cells > Number > Custom and enter General"kg"
    if you then enter 100 in that cell, it will appear as 100kg, but you can
    still use it for computations.
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Bryan
    Guest

    RE: how do i sum a total in excel with numbers and text 58kg + 60k

    Hi Gary - thanks - the problem here is that I am using a weigh scales program
    that exports a txt file to excel and I need to sum the total but it is coming
    across as xxkg already so when I applied your suggestion it didn't add. I
    appreciated your help though. Thanks from Australia!

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: how do i sum a total in excel with numbers and text 58kg + 60k

    Hi Bryan

    Try
    =--SUBSTITUTE(A1,"kg","")
    this will turn your numbers from text 50kg to 50

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  5. #5
    Bryan
    Guest

    Re: how do i sum a total in excel with numbers and text 58kg + 60k

    Thats it - thanks very much to both of you

    Regards Bryan