How to get a formula result zero as blank cell

  1. #1
    Excelerate-nl
    Guest

    How to get a formula result zero as blank cell

    Dear Excel experts,

    How can I make the outcome of a formula (eg. =A1*A2) result in a blank cell
    if either Cell A1 or Cell A2 is blank (no data typed in the cell)?
    If either Cell A1 or A2 is actually zero it should not result in a blank Cell.

    I need to define the outcome of the folrmula as blank, because I want to
    take the average of a range of rhese formulas. If some data have not been
    entered, they should be ignored in the average and not counted as 0.

    Hope you can give me a clue,

    Jan Bart

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Jan,

    =IF(OR(ISBLANK(A1),ISBLANK(A2)),"",A1*A2)

    Regards,

    Steve

  3. #3
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: How to get a formula result zero as blank cell

    =IF(OR(A1="",A2=""),"",A1*A2)

    Average, sum, and count functions will ignore cells with a result of "".
    COUNTA will still count cells with "".

  4. #4
    Excelerate-nl
    Guest

    Re: How to get a formula result zero as blank cell

    Thanks Steve.

    I already thought of this solution, but it results is 34*365 formulas
    (besides lots of other formulas) of this type which may overload the
    processor.
    So I am still hoping for another clue.

    regards,

    Jan Bart

  5. #5

    Re: How to get a formula result zero as blank cell

    One more:

    =if(count(a1,a2)<2,"",a1*a2)