Pop up box:create an overtime calculator

  1. #1
    Neil Greenough
    Guest

    Pop up box:create an overtime calculator

    I am trying to create an overtime calculator for my colleagues and myself to
    use in work.

    Now, our payscales are different dependant on the amount of time we have
    worked for the company. So, they are similar to below - pay per hour

    1 year = £9.49
    2 years = £10.56
    3 years = £12.72

    I will be creating a column listing these values.

    In the overtime calculator, I have Cell A which lists the amount of hours
    worked, formatted in time, ie 5:30. Now, what I would like is for some sort
    of drop down menu on the spreadsheet. The user can select from this menu the
    amount of years they have worked for the company. Then in cell 2, I would
    like the spreadsheet to automatically multiply the amount of hours worked in
    column A by the pay that matches the selected amount of time?

    Does that make sense? Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    re: Pop up box:create an overtime calculator

    Neil,

    The way that I would do it would be in an unused area od the spreadsheet -
    say columns L & M list the number of years in ascending order in L and the
    corresponding pay in M then with the overtime hours in A1, enter the number
    of years in B1, (it can be greater than the highest number in Column L), and
    in C1 enter the formula:

    =A1*24*LOOKUP(B1,L1:L3,M1:M3)

    If you wish columns L & M can be hidden and the formula will still work.

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Pete
    Guest

    re: Pop up box:create an overtime calculator

    You might like to add some restrictions to the data entered in B1 by
    selecting it and then Data | Validation pointing to L1:L3 (to use
    Sandy's example). This way you can't enter "one" instead of 1.

    Pete