need a bit of help.....

  1. #1

    Unhappy need a bit of help.....

    I have generated a form in excel that shows money amounts. yet i want two colums that separates the dollar amount from cents. I have for example colum H as the dollar amount and colum I as the cent amounts. Now i have tried Format Cell to set it up but it doesnt work. for example i tried the custom format for the dollar amount and it rounds it. and if there's an amount of 1108.83 the cell will show 1109. so it does not show the true value amount. i also tried the same approach with the =RIGHT(H1,2) but with the left and Mid but still didnt work, because i would have to enter the same amount of caracters each time. as far as the cents, there is no problems because i did the =RIGHT(H1,2) function. it will on show the cent amounts.

    so is there another way to set it up?
    Please yall.... let me know....
    Last edited by Joe@excel; 11-23-2005 at 12:03 AM.

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: need a bit of help.....

    Not sure I follow but maybe:
    =Int(H1)
    to return 1108 from 1108.83

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3

    Re: need a bit of help.....

    The first thing I'd try is to widen that column.

    If the cell is formatted as General, excel will hide as many decimal places as
    it can when the column is too skinny.

    But if you format the cell as something besides General (number, 2 decimal
    places or even a custom number format), you should see ##### when the column is
    too narrow.

    What was the custom format you used for that cell?

  4. #4
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: need a bit of help.....

    =int(h1) will give you the dollar amount, =h1-int(h1) will give you the
    cents. (Caveat: if h1 is negative, this will go to the next lower integer
    amount, so -11.82 would turn into -12 and +0.18; holler if you need a way
    around that).

  5. #5

    Unhappy

    thank you guys.
    but... may be i didnt explain clearly enough....
    I have two columns... H and I ...
    in column H i'm entering a dollar amount.. $1,108.83..
    once i hit enter, the H column should only show the dollar amount which is 1,108
    and
    column I should only show the remaining cents which is 83

    hope i explained better this time..