Linked cells and text boxes

  1. #1
    Alexlondon11
    Guest

    Linked cells and text boxes

    My query is this:
    I have created a questionnaire answer template comprising of two worksheets.
    One contains the answers and the second is a score sheet that links to the
    cells in the answer sheet.
    When linking cells between the workbooks, the numerical ones are fine.
    However, a lot of the answers are in text form so to get round that, I set up
    text boxes in the score sheet to link to the cells in the answer sheet. That
    almost works apart from one thing:
    As I type the text in the cell in the answer sheet, the text box in the
    score sheet does not carry all of the text. Some stop in mid-word and I have
    tried making the text box bigger, wrapping the text, but to no avail. I
    wonder if anyone had any ideas? I'd be really grateful!

  2. #2
    stebro
    Guest

    RE: Linked cells and text boxes

    When using the link feature the same rules apply that are in effect when you
    copy and paste; only the first 255 bytes are copied. To get around your
    situation try to keep the answers to less than 255 characters.

  3. #3
    Alexlondon11
    Guest

    RE: Linked cells and text boxes

    Many thanks Stebro for getting back so quickly. I worked it out in the end.
    It appears that the linked text box had a bit a trouble reading all the data
    because the cell it was linking to was actually a group of merged ones.
    Almost by accident, I found what I had to do was (and I don't even need text
    boxes) to link the cell from the score sheet to a single cell in the answer
    sheet. Bingo - I can write a short story and still get all the data in.
    Many thanks for your suggestion though - much appreciated - I was starting to
    despair!

    Alex