How do I Auto-Filter with multiple values in a cell in Excel?

  1. #1
    Burghthing
    Guest

    How do I Auto-Filter with multiple values in a cell in Excel?

    Is it possible to use the Auto-Filter in Excel 2003 in the following way:

    Cell Value: Requirements, Testing
    Cell Value: Requirements
    Cell Value: Testing

    Is there a way I can enter my cell value such that the Auto-Filter values
    will only show "Requirements" and "Testing" in the dropdown, but not
    "Requirements, Testing"? I've tried using ; , | and even hard returns as
    separators, but to no avail.

    Am I asking too much of the auto-filter?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: How do I Auto-Filter with multiple values in a cell in Excel?

    Unless you create another column to indicate the match, I think you are
    asking too much of the autofilter. Check the advanced filter instead.
    You'll have to set up 'criteria', a group of cells separate from your data,
    and you would have a row in the criteria for each criterion. So you'd have a
    three-row criteria: the header, then 'Requirements', then 'Testing.'

  3. #3
    Burghthing
    Guest

    RE: How do I Auto-Filter with multiple values in a cell in Excel?

    I was afraid that was going to be the response. Thanks bpeltzer!