Expired Dates

  1. #1
    Axel
    Guest

    Expired Dates

    I have a simple Excel spreadsheet with about 50 rows and 8 columns of dates.
    Each row is a different activity entry and all columns in each row have a
    date cell with a simple + or - formula relating to a base date in the final
    column.

    Although it is not important for the logic, the final column is the starting
    date for works on a construction site and the preceding dates are all
    critical events leading up to the starting date. Each row has a different
    activity. Each row is stand alone and is not linked by formulas to any
    other row.

    How do I get Excel to automatically highlight dates that have expired or are
    about to expire?

    A simple automatic shading of the cells for dates which have past would be
    an excellent start.

    This is Windows XP and Excel Xp.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Axel

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Expired Dates

    Select all the date cells, assume the first is A1
    Goto to Format>Conditional Formatting
    Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
    Add a formula of =A1<TODAY()
    Click Format and set a pattern colour
    OK
    Add Condition
    Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
    Add a formula of =A1<TODAY()+10
    Click Format and set a pattern colour
    OK
    OK

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: Expired Dates

    Hi axel,

    Select the cell with the due date and under Format > Conditional Format >
    Formula Is > =A1>B1 > Format > Pattern > Choose color > OK > OK.

    Where A1 represents the due date and B1 has the formula =NOW()

    Howard

  4. #4
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: Expired Dates

    Woops...> =A1>B1

    I belive that should be =A1<B1

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Axel
    Guest

    Re: Expired Dates

    Hi,

    Thanks for the response, but I am struggling to set this up. My initial
    query was probably too simplistic. Extract from actual sheet:

    E F G H I
    J K

    WP Nr Work Package Final Tender Assessment Pre-order Meeting
    Acceptance Letter Prepare Order Docs Place Official Order Pre Start Meeting
    Lead-in (Wks) Site Start
    9 Fire Protection 09/01/2006 16/01/2006 23/01/2006 2
    06/02/2006 20/02/2006 6 06/03/2006

    Existing cell entries =E12-7 =F12-7
    =K12-(j12*7) 2 =F12+14 =K12-14 6 06/03/2006

    Can you possibly assist further with actual cell entries?

    Many thanks,

    Axel

  6. #6
    Axel
    Guest

    Re: Expired Dates

    Hi,

    This looked great on the draft but is a heap of mince when sent! Not sure
    of you can make any sense of this jumbled mess!

    Axel

  7. #7
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: Expired Dates

    It WAS pretty scrambled.
    Send me a sample workbook and I will give it a go. 'splain what you are
    shooting for.

    Howard

    "Axel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > This looked great on the draft but is a heap of mince when sent! Not sure
    > of you can make any sense of this jumbled mess!
    >
    > Axel
    >

    > "Axel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Thanks for the response, but I am struggling to set this up. My initial
    >> query was probably too simplistic. Extract from actual sheet:
    >>
    >> D E F
    >> G H I J K
    >>
    >> WP Nr Work Package Final Tender Assessment Pre-order Meeting
    >> Acceptance Letter Prepare Order Docs Place Official Order Pre Start
    >> Meeting Lead-in (Wks) Site Start
    >> 9 Fire Protection 09/01/2006 16/01/2006 23/01/2006 2
    >> 06/02/2006 20/02/2006 6 06/03/2006
    >>

    >> Existing cell entries =E12-7 =F12-7
    >> =K12-(j12*7) 2 =F12+14 =K12-14 6 06/03/2006
    >>

    >> Can you possibly assist further with actual cell entries?
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >>
    >> Axel
    >>

    >> "L. Howard Kittle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> Hi axel,
    >>>
    >>> Select the cell with the due date and under Format > Conditional Format
    >>>
    >>> Where A1 represents the due date and B1 has the formula =NOW()
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>> Regards,