Problem with Date Manipulation

  1. #1

    Problem with Date Manipulation

    Okay.. Im not a kid, 36, been working with excel for years & last year did up to intermediate courses in Access.

    However, that being said because you guys are very keen in here, so I dont want to sound stupid, whilst my understanding on alot of excel is generally on the layman terms!

    Heres my problem.

    Im making a simple spreadsheet.

    I have a widget that enters my facility on one date, it then exits another. I know by setting up EXIT - ENTER = DAYS I have my duration in the facility.

    BUT---> I dont want the weekends to count as days!

    Material arrives every weekday & exits the same. Some material flows every day.. some rarely with EVERYTHING in between.

    Any suggestions/solutions how to have this accomplished where the weekends are factored OUT of the equasion?

    Hope that made sence!!!

    I do appreciate your help!

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Problem with Date Manipulation

    Hi

    take a look at the NETWORKDAYS function.
    =NETWORKDAYS(enter_date,exit_date,holidays)

    Holidays is an optional argument, and is either a named range or a
    contiguous list of cell locations holding the public holiday dates.

    Networkdays is part of the Analysis Toolpak so you need to have this
    installed. Tools>Addins>select Analysis Toolpak>OK

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Problem with Date Manipulation

    Have you looked at the NETWORKDAYS function?

    Per Excel Help: If this function is not available, and returns the #NAME?
    error, install and load the Analysis ToolPak add-in

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Problem with Date Manipulation

    See the NETWORKDAYS() function.
    It is an Analysis Toolpak function. If you get a #NAME error: Tools>Add-ins,
    check Analysis Toolpak

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    "Sbufkle" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Giulia
    Guest

    RE: Problem with Date Manipulation

    This is the first neat little trick I ever learned with excel.
    What you need to do is set up a list of nonwroking days..... (don't forget
    to include bank holidays!) I had to do this manually which is a bit time
    consuming but you only need to it once, this needs to be on a separate
    worksheet.

    Then you need to go to your tools menu and check out 'Add Ins' you need the
    Analysis tool pak, just check the button and excel should do the rest.

    Then the function you need to use is networkdays

    something like:

    =NETWORKDAYS(start date,end date,nonworking days list)

    hope this helps