Formula to see if a number is allocated

  1. #1
    Ernest Lai
    Guest

    Formula to see if a number is allocated

    I need to find out if a number is allocated or free. Basically on sheet1 is
    a load of information. in Column G on this sheet is a unique identifier
    number.

    In sheet2 I have a list of numbers say from 1-100 which correspond to the
    identifier numbers in sheet1. Id like a forumla something like:

    "If A1 in sheet 2 = any number in column G in sheet1, then print Allocated,
    else print free"

    At the moment I have: =IF(A1=Sheet1!G:G,"allocated", "free")
    But it does not work. What it is doing is If A1 = everything in column G
    then say allocated, else say free. So the results im getting are all free.

    Thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated

  2. #2
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: Formula to see if a number is allocated

    Try

    =ISNA(MATCH(A1,Sheet1!G:G,0))

    HTH. Best wishes Harald

    "Ernest Lai" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ernest Lai
    Guest

    Re: Formula to see if a number is allocated

    thanks a lot that worked a treat!