How does one refer to the n-1 element of a named range?

  1. #1
    Charles Hewitt
    Guest

    How does one refer to the n-1 element of a named range?

    If I have established a range called Beginning_Inventory, and I want to set
    it equal to the previous period's Ending_Inventory, what do I have to do?
    (Clearly, one could use a relative reference, but there are other reasons for
    not doing so.)

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How does one refer to the n-1 element of a named range?

    Hi!

    >How does one refer to the n-1 element of a named range?

    What is the "n-1" element?

    =INDEX(named_range,1,1)

    Refers to the top leftmost element, that is, row1 column1.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: How does one refer to the n-1 element of a named range?

    "Charles Hewitt" <Charles [email protected]> wrote...
    >If I have established a range called Beginning_Inventory, and I want to set
    >it equal to the previous period's Ending_Inventory, what do I have to do?
    >(Clearly, one could use a relative reference, but there are other reasons
    >for
    >not doing so.)

    So each period has its own named range like Data2005Oct? If so, and if the
    current range's period could be derived from, say, its row 1 column 2 cell,
    and if the ending inventory were in the preceding period's row 20 column 7
    cell, then you could try something like the following to pull the October
    2005 ending inventory into the November 2005 range.

    =INDEX(INDIRECT(TEXT(INDEX(Data2005Nov,1,2)-DAY(INDEX(Data2005Nov,1,2)),
    "\D\a\t\aYYYYMMM")),20,7)