deduplicate data in excel

  1. #1
    Julie Melbourne
    Guest

    deduplicate data in excel

    How do I deduplicate data in Excel. I have a large database of names and
    addresses which I want to check to duplication

  2. #2

    Re: deduplicate data in excel

    You may want to read some of Chip Pearson's techniques for dealing with
    duplicates:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

  3. #3
    Julie Melbourne
    Guest

    Re: deduplicate data in excel

    Thanks Dave
    I have looked at this site, but cannot get the formula to work?
    Must be doing something wrong. Have you tried it?
    Do you have a working spreadsheet wtih this formula?

    Thanks for you help
    Julie Melbourne

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: deduplicate data in excel

    Look at Data>Filter>Advanced filter, it has a unique option.

    RP

    "Julie Melbourne" <Julie [email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: deduplicate data in excel

    What formula did you use?

    Where's your data?

    I've never had trouble with the formulas.

  6. #6
    Julie Melbourne
    Guest

    Re: deduplicate data in excel

    Dave
    I tried the following formula in a test worksheet using one column named
    Range with same data as displayed on the website

    =IF(MAX(COUNTIF(Range1,Range1))>1,"Duplicates","No Duplicates")

    Then I pressed CTRL+Shift+Enter
    I get the following result
    #NAME?

    Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    Much appreciate your help

  7. #7

    Re: deduplicate data in excel

    First, that's not the formula you want to use. But if you just wanted to check
    to see if all the entries were unique, you'd change range1 to A1:A100 (or some
    other range).

    I think the formula you want (if your data is in A1:Axx) is this:
    =if(countif($a$1:a1,a1)=1,"First Occurrence","Duplicate")

    Then the first occurrence is marked differently.

    If you're looking for just any old duplicate.
    =if(countif(a:a,a1)=1,"unique","duplicate")

    And drag done the column.

  8. #8
    Julie Melbourne
    Guest