bizarre excel copy/paste problem

  1. #1

    bizarre excel copy/paste problem

    I've had this problem for as long as I can remember with Excel 2000 and
    upgrading to Excel 2002 has not changed anything. Any input is
    appreciated.

    When I copy a cell (ctrl+c) and try to paste (ctrl+v) into the SAME
    worksheet, Excel will just paste it once and deselect the highlighted
    cell. That single copy works fine (ie while copying formulas), but it
    just wont let me paste multiple times. Upgrading Excel has not changed
    this behavior.

    Interestingly, MS Word does not seem to have this problem. Also if I
    use the clipboard, I can paste repeatedly. Does this make sense to
    anyone?

  2. #2
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: bizarre excel copy/paste problem

    I'm afraid I can't help you with solving your issue. I can only confirm that
    both 2000 & 2002 should be able to copy the same cell multiple times. They
    can also copy a range of cells multiple times, unless the destination range
    overlaps the source range, then the copy only works once.

    --
    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: bizarre excel copy/paste problem

    Maybe you have an event macro that fires after you paste. Lots of macros kill
    the clipboard.

    If you open excel in safe mode:
    close excel
    windows start button|run
    type
    excel /safe
    and hit enter

    Then file|open your workbook.

    Does it still fail?

  4. #4

    Re: bizarre excel copy/paste problem

    Dave,

    Thanks for your response. I open Excel in Safe mode and the paste works
    correctly. I don't have any macros in my file. Do you think it might be
    some add-in running some event which kills the clipboard?

    Thank God for Google.

  5. #5

    Re: bizarre excel copy/paste problem

    Could be.

    But I'd guess that this type of thing is more often found in the same
    workbook--but it doesn't have to be.