Can I modify cell attributes (font,color etc.) based on function .

  1. #1
    TicklePig
    Guest

    Can I modify cell attributes (font,color etc.) based on function .

    For a simple example, if A1=1 then the font color of A2 = 'blue'. Are there,
    and if so, can I access and mofiy the attributes of a cell based on a boolean
    result of a function in that or another cell?

    Also, can I do this without Macro VB scripting/programming?

    I have been a programmer for many years and the few times I have opened up
    the Macro/VB editor from Excel, Word, etc. I was befuddled. I can write VB
    script/code and have done it many times just not through the 'Macro' options
    of an MS application. I know, it says a lot; I either suck at programming, MS
    has an unintuative interface, or I have ADHD. All or a combination of the
    above could be true but that is not my question.

    Can I modify cell attributes (font,color etc.) based on function result in
    an Excel worksheet?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Eddie O
    Guest

    RE: Can I modify cell attributes (font,color etc.) based on function .

    Not sure if this can be done with a formula, but it can be done with
    conditional formatting (Format / Conditional Formatting). By default the
    condition is based on the cell value in the cell itself (the one you'll be
    formatting), but if you change the condition from Cell Value Is to "Formula
    Is," you can refer to a value in a different cell in order to format "this"
    cell.
    Hope that helps.

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Can I modify cell attributes (font,color etc.) based on function .

    Yes. Use conditional formatting

    Format > Conditional Formatting and select Formula is and enter

    =(A1=1) and then select your format
    --
    Gary''s Student

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Can I modify cell attributes (font,color etc.) based on function .

    Pig

    Use Format>Conditional Formatting

    Select A2 and Format>CF>Formula is: =$A$1=1

    Pick a format and OK your way out.

    Note: you can have up to 3 conditions(4 if you count default) per cell.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Can I modify cell attributes (font,color etc.) based on function .

    If you did not get the answer you were looking for, I would think it more likely that
    the other cell is on the same row in which case it might be more like
    =$A1=1 note the row number is not absolute
    and check with http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm
    to read about how your usage relates to the active cell and the selection.
    And I would also suggest the Conditional Formatting video file (flash 8) at datapig
    that you can find a link to at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#tutorials
    ---
    HTH,