Bizarre - can't double click to open Excel files

  1. #1

    Unhappy Bizarre - can't double click to open Excel files

    My company recently upgraded to 2003. Since the upgrade, I have been unable to open an excel file in any way except through the open file dialog in Excel itself. If I click on an icon (either on my desktop or an attachment in an email), I get a pause, a jpeg of an adobe icon gets copied into my clipboard and then a few seconds later, I get a message that the file can not be found.

    Everything else seems to work fine, all my models and files work fine, all my links work fine and I have virus scanned / spyware scanned left right and center.

    MY IT guys have given up and are now avoiding me. Anyone have any ideas? This is very annoying.

  2. #2

    Re: Bizarre - can't double click to open Excel files

    It sounds like Adobe stole the file association.

    I try this first:

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

    If that doesn't work...

    Open windows explorer
    find a .xls file
    shift rightlclick on it
    choose "open With"
    browse for excel.exe
    and make sure you check that box at the bottom (to always use the selected
    program to open this type of file).

  3. #3

    Thanks for the attempt

    That wasn't it though. I think I have it working now. A friend came through with a simple idea.

    It was actually that the check box - ignore other applications that was checked in tools/options. Not sure how that happened - probably an errant click when setting up excel.

    The adobe picture still gets added to the clipboard everytime I open excel. But I can live with that. Can't figure that one out.