asterisk in a cell

  1. #1
    Caroline41
    Guest

    asterisk in a cell

    Hi I have an asterisk in a cell aligned to the right and I can't get rid of
    it. It goes if I type on it but I am wondering if I have miskeyed or maybe
    used some sort of format without realising it.

    Also is there a table of some sort that explains the signs and symbols that
    appear in cells for various reasons. E.g. the little triangle at the top
    right etc.

    I am using Excel 2003.

    Kindest regards
    Caroline

  2. #2

    Re: asterisk in a cell

    When you select that cell with the asterisk, do you see a blue outline around a
    range of cells?

    If you do, then you could be looking at a list (created by Data|List)

    To remove the list, try this:
    select a cell within the list
    ata|list|Convert to range

    If the little triangle at the top right is red, then this is a comment
    indicator. You should see a comment when you let the mouse icon hover over that
    cell.

    I typed
    Red Triangle
    in the ask a question box (top right corner)
    and the first suggestion was about comments.

    The second was a description of what those kind of indicators mean.

  3. #3
    Caroline41
    Guest

    Re: asterisk in a cell

    Hi Dave,

    Thank you for replying. I am at home at the moment so can not have a look.
    Will try it tomorrow at work and let you know if it did.

    Caroline 41