offset not working

  1. #1
    BorisS
    Guest

    offset not working

    I have the following that does work:

    =OFFSET('Revenue Assumptions'!D76,D24,C24)

    I have the following which does not work:

    =OFFSET(B24,D24,C24)

    D and C 24 obviously stay the same.
    My value for B24 is 'Revenue Assumptions'!D76

    Any idea why the offset is not working when using for its reference point
    the written name of a cell?

    --
    Boris

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: offset not working

    Hi

    "BorisS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I have the following that does work:
    >
    > =OFFSET('Revenue Assumptions'!D76,D24,C24)
    >
    > I have the following which does not work:
    >
    > =OFFSET(B24,D24,C24)
    >
    > D and C 24 obviously stay the same.
    > My value for B24 is 'Revenue Assumptions'!D76
    >
    > Any idea why the offset is not working when using for its reference point
    > the written name of a cell?

    Because you try 'to display something, what is D24 rows down and C24 columns
    left from cell B24. NB! From cell B24, not from cell addressed there. Offset
    assumes, that first parameter is cell address, not a value.

    Instead this you have to use
    =OFFSET(INDIRECT(B24),D24,C24)

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvil<at>tarkon.ee )

  3. #3
    BorisS
    Guest

    Re: offset not working

    you are right in logic, and I had tried this. It hadn't worked, but now I
    realize why. My reference, when entered in the cell, is treated as a string
    because of the ' that goes first (sheet reference). Since indirect() was
    picking up only the part after the initial ', I had to write
    indirect("'"&b24). Now it works. Just FYI. Thanks, though.
    --
    Boris