Can You Switch Rows

  1. #1
    Larry C
    Guest

    Can You Switch Rows

    Hi,

    I have two rows in a spreadsheet I just want to "switch."

    Is there a simple way to do this without first having to add a blank
    row, move one row up and then delete the blank row again?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Can You Switch Rows

    > I have two rows in a spreadsheet I just want to "switch."
    >
    > Is there a simple way to do this without first having to add a blank
    > row, move one row up and then delete the blank row again?

    One way:

    a. select the row to be moved and use
    Edit >> Cut

    b. select the row below where you want the cut row to go and use
    Edit >> Insert cut cells

  3. #3
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Can You Switch Rows

    Hover over the edge between Col A and the row numbers, and when it turns to
    a black 4 headed arrow, right click, hold it and drag the row to where you
    want it, and when you let go it will prompt you with a number of options,
    including move here and shift down etc.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Larry C
    Guest

    Re: Can You Switch Rows

    On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 22:25:26 -0000, "Ken Wright"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hover over the edge between Col A and the row numbers, and when it turns to
    >a black 4 headed arrow, right click, hold it and drag the row to where you
    >want it, and when you let go it will prompt you with a number of options,
    >including move here and shift down etc.

    I get to the "black 4 headed arrow" part, but once I do that there is
    no way to right click and then drag. I can left click and then drag,
    but that doesn't accomplish anything. What am I missing?

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Larry C
    Guest

    Re: Can You Switch Rows

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 14:20:26 -0800, Jay
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >One way:
    >
    >a. select the row to be moved and use
    > Edit >> Cut
    >
    >b. select the row below where you want the cut row to go and use
    > Edit >> Insert cut cells

    Thanks that works great if the rows are adjacent to each other, and I
    can use that. But Is there a way to do it when the rows are say, 10
    rows apart?

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Can You Switch Rows

    click 1st column header
    CTRL-X
    click-next-to-the-other column header
    click the "insert column" icon (Can be copied from the Insert command set)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  7. #7
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Can You Switch Rows

    What version Excel? Has been that way for some time as far as I can recall.
    Am on a laptop at the moment so only have the last couple of versions to
    hand.

    Assuming the whole row is selected, and you then hover and see the 4 headed
    arrow, when you right click, hold odwn the button and then drag, all you see
    being dragged is an outline, and then when you let go you suddenly see a
    whole host of additional commands such as Copy here, Move Here, Move here
    and Shift Down etc etc

    Regards
    Ken.............

  8. #8
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Can You Switch Rows

    >>One way:
    >>
    >>a. select the row to be moved and use
    >> Edit >> Cut
    >>
    >>b. select the row below where you want the cut row to go and use
    >> Edit >> Insert cut cells

    > Thanks that works great if the rows are adjacent to each other, and I
    > can use that. But Is there a way to do it when the rows are say, 10
    > rows apart?

    The same two steps work with any pair or rows, even if they're separated by
    others. Scroll if they're not on screen at the same time.

  9. #9
    Larry C
    Guest

    Re: Can You Switch Rows

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:30:29 -0800, Jay
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>One way:
    >>>
    >>>a. select the row to be moved and use
    >>> Edit >> Cut
    >>>
    >>>b. select the row below where you want the cut row to go and use
    >>> Edit >> Insert cut cells

    >> Thanks that works great if the rows are adjacent to each other, and I
    >> can use that. But Is there a way to do it when the rows are say, 10
    >> rows apart?

    >The same two steps work with any pair or rows, even if they're separated by
    >others. Scroll if they're not on screen at the same time.

    Thanks for the help, but this is what happens if I do as you say.

    If I want to switch row 4 and row 9, and I follow your instructions.
    [Select row 4>edit>cut. Select row 10>insert>cut cells. Then it ends
    up looking like this:

    When what I want is this:

    Thanks.

  10. #10
    Larry C
    Guest

    Re: Can You Switch Rows

    On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 19:18:49 -0000, "Ken Wright"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What version Excel? Has been that way for some time as far as I can recall.
    >Am on a laptop at the moment so only have the last couple of versions to
    >hand.
    >
    >Assuming the whole row is selected, and you then hover and see the 4 headed
    >arrow, when you right click, hold odwn the button and then drag, all you see
    >being dragged is an outline, and then when you let go you suddenly see a
    >whole host of additional commands such as Copy here, Move Here, Move here
    >and Shift Down etc etc
    >
    >Regards
    > Ken.............

    It won't let me right click and drag. I'm using Excel 2000.

  11. #11
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Can You Switch Rows

    Just tried it in XL2000 and it works fine. One slight difference though is
    that you don't get the 4 headed arrow, you get a white arrow. With the row
    selected, hover between the top and bottom of the row, and between Col A and
    the row number, so that you are right in the middle. When it turns to a
    white arrow, right click, hold it down and drag up or down. Then just let
    go and you will see the options.

    Regards

  12. #12
    Jay Somerset
    Guest

    Re: Can You Switch Rows

    Just do it a second time, moving row "9" into the position you want.

    --
    Jay.
    (remove dashes for legal email address)