Automate a few things

  1. #1

    Automate a few things

    how can I automatically change all negatives to positives?
    How can I automatically change a group of cells from thousands to millions?
    1000---1000000

    thanks
    jason
    www.noodleheadstudios.com

  2. #2

    Paste Special

    The paste special command can do both of the things you've asked. To turn positives to negatives do the following:

    Type -1 in a cell
    Copy that cell
    Select the entire range you want to switch signs on
    Select Edit / Paste Special and choose Values and Multiply and OK

    To divide by 1000, just type 1000, copy, paste special and choose Values and Divide.

    Let me know if you have more questions

  3. #3
    windsurferLA
    Guest

    Re: Automate a few things

    how often do you have to do it? If only a few times, then consider
    setting up a second sheet where each cell refers to the similar cell in
    the first sheet, but with a negative sign. If your sheet includes text
    as well as numbers, you will probably need to use an IF statement to
    test for text formating, so that the formula is not applied to text.

    If it is something that you need to do many, many times, you may want to
    consider some macro.

    WindsurferLA