Percentages

  1. #1
    GSTL
    Guest

    Percentages

    ok, I admit I'm being dense.

    Column A = my weight

    Column b= how much I've lost

    Column c= percent of body weight I've lost. therefore: b/a-b

    How do I put in this formula to work so that all of the rows will
    automatically calculate? it seems as tough I have to list each set of cells
    separatey, and since this will go over the course of the year, it will take
    for ever.

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Percentages

    The percent lost is lbs lost / initial weight. In your terms, b/a, rather
    than b/a-b.
    If your original weight is in A2: calculate the weight loss in b3 as
    =a3-a$2, and the % loss in c3 as =b3/a$2. As you enter newer weights in
    column A, just autofill the formulas from b3 and c3 into subsequent rows.

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Percentages

    Assuming you have titles in row 1 enter this in C2

    Column C formatted as Percentage.

    =IF(A2="","",B2/(A2-B2))

    Drag/copy down using the fill handle on C2.

    The cell references will increment as you drag.

    If no data in column A, C will remain blank.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    GSTL
    Guest

    Re: Percentages

    Thanks Gord, I knew the formula I needed but putting it iin the chart totally
    blew me over. Thanks for your help.