Excel file automatically opens - More Info

  1. #1

    Angry Excel file automatically opens - More Info

    For those of you have been following my inquiry THANKS!

    For those of you who are just joining - I have a file that automatically loads when any other excel file loads and reloads when I close it, if another file is open. Doesn't happen if excel is exited and reloaded.

    When the Troubles.xls file is automatically reloaded, auto_open macro does not run. Thus??? the file loads in a "no-run" status when it opens automatically?? Is there such a thing? I believe we can open a file and not run the auto_open macro, but I'm not sure.

    I'm really not familiar with the XLStart folder. There aren't any files in the folders - '97 or 2000. I would assume that if there where files in those folders the files would load and run when EXCEL opens. Are there other locations or files that monitor what is going on with EXCEL that maybe a factor?? I'm stretching for anything that I can grab hold of to find a solution.

  2. #2

    Angry Excel file automatically opens - More Info - Thanks Dave

    This is a reply to Dave:

    Next time this happens, go into the VBE and hit ctrl-r to see the project
    explorer.

    What workbook/projects do you see open?

    Project explorer lists the files that I have loaded - nothing else

    Also, you can try this:

    close excel and reopen it in safe mode.

    The Troubles.xls file did not reload

    I would assume that the problem comes from my coding - more research!

    Thanks Dave!

  3. #3

    Re: Excel file automatically opens - More Info

    I'd look at the projects that are open when the problem arises.

    Sorry, I don't have anything more specific.