Formatting cells for decimals and hyphens

  1. #1
    Kram
    Guest

    Formatting cells for decimals and hyphens

    Greetings,

    I'm trying to make a spreadsheet of available guns at our store and I need
    to type in things like:

    ..410
    ..300
    ..308
    ..243
    30-06

    but it self corrects .410 to .41 and if I write 10-11-11 it wants to create
    a date.

    How do I turn off the formatting so I can type in decimals and hyphens
    without excel correcting them to some other format?

    Thanks, Mark

  2. #2

    Re: Formatting cells for decimals and hyphens

    Preformat that range (whole column?) as text.
    (Format|cells|number tab|Text)

    Or start your data entry with an apostrophe:

    '.410
    '30-06

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Formatting cells for decimals and hyphens

    Try this:
    Select all of the cells you might be entering data into, or just select the
    whole column...then

    Format>Cells>Number
    Category: Text
    Click [OK]

    Now, everything you type into those cells will be text and not
    re-interpretted by Excel as number.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 17:59:07 -0800, Kram <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >I'm trying to make a spreadsheet of available guns at our store and I need
    >to type in things like:
    >
    >.410
    >.300
    >.308
    >.243
    >30-06
    >
    >but it self corrects .410 to .41 and if I write 10-11-11 it wants to create
    >a date.
    >
    >How do I turn off the formatting so I can type in decimals and hyphens
    >without excel correcting them to some other format?
    >
    >Thanks, Mark

    Either pre-format the data entry range as text (format/cells/number/text)

    OR precede the entries with a single quote. This will not show up in the
    printout.

    --ron

  5. #5
    Kram
    Guest

    Re: Formatting cells for decimals and hyphens

    Wow, that is a quick response...one game of solitaire and 3 quick answers,
    I printed out all three.

    Thanks very much for the help!

    Mark