retain leading zeros when importing

  1. #1
    LeePotts
    Guest

    retain leading zeros when importing

    I am importing several thousand records from a web based database into excel.
    I have to combine some records and then dump the data into another database.
    The dataset set contains part numbers with leading zeros.

    How do I get Excel to retain the leading zeros? I've read numerous posts on
    how to change the cell format to display a leading zero, however, the actual
    cell value does not inlcude this zero and I need it retained for import into
    the next database. I've tried saving the HTM as a text file and importing,
    however, the file is not delimited and the cell lenght varies so this is a
    non-starter.

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: retain leading zeros when importing

    Hi Lee,
    Change the file extension from .csv to .txt so that the text import wizard comes
    up which will give you a chance to indicate that the column is to be text.

    If that does not work then prefix the data with a letter, and remove the prefixed
    letter form the column once in Excel after you set up the format the way you wnat it.
    ---
    HTH,