Is there an "auto fill" formula?

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Happyville, USA
    MS-Off Ver

    Is there an "auto fill" formula?

    Hi again,

    This is a follow up to my last post (thank you for your quick replies). Does anyone know of an "auto fill" formula along the lines of a sum if formula? If I have a column of data with blanks how do I get the sheet to fill in the blanks with the first cell above that contains data? Example: If A2 has a "1" in it and there are blanks from A3 to A10 and a "2" in A11 with blanks from A12 to A20,how do I get excel to count the A3 to A10 blanks and fill in the "1" from above, then count A12 to A20 and fill in the "2" from A11? Any thoughts?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Is there an "auto fill" formula?

    punter

    Select from A2 to bottom of range of data.

    F5>Special>Blanks>OK

    Type an = sign in the active blank(A3) and point to A2 and hit CTRL + ENTER.

    Then copy>paste special(in place)>Values>OK>Esc

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP