Merging rows

  1. #1
    John
    Guest

    Merging rows

    office 2003 excel

    How can I merge two rows into one row? Also... where is that in help? I
    spent about 45 minutes trying to find it.

    Thanks

    John

  2. #2
    Neo Cheung
    Guest

    Re: Merging rows

    if you want to merge A1:A10 and B1:B10, select C1:C10 and type in C1
    =A1&B1 and ctrl+enter.

  3. #3
    John
    Guest

    Re: Merging rows

    Neo Cheung wrote:
    > if you want to merge A1:A10 and B1:B10, select C1:C10 and type in C1
    > =A1&B1 and ctrl+enter.

    Thanks... works great. Now, how do I get it to be just the data and not
    the reference to the other rows.

    thanks

    John

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Merging rows

    Hi John,
    To eliminate the formula leaving only the value ---
    select column C, Ctrl+C (edit, copy), Edit, Paste Special, Values

    If you wanted to combine a selection of A & B into Column A
    with a space the two values and empty the B column values,
    you could use the JOIN macro from
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm
    doing the same all in one shot.

    Your posting was a bit ambiguous, so I'm glad you replied to
    Neo that you got what you were looking for. In Excel
    "merge cells" would mean combining the cells themselves
    not the values. The surviving cell would take on the value
    (or formula) of the upper left cell of the merged cells. Merge is
    from the Format, cells dialog, or much better using the merge
    buttons from customize, format. I wrote some macros before I
    knew of the builtin "merge across", etc. -- I like my macro better,
    but the difference is minor (with the macro you can have
    multiple selections).
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/merge.htm#builtin
    ---
    HTH,