Remove file Protection from an Excel workbook file from others

  1. #1
    whistler_z
    Guest

    Remove file Protection from an Excel workbook file from others

    I have an older excel file created by someone who is no longer with my
    company. I want to use that file as a starting point to created another
    file. The file is set up as "read only". If I try to change any of the
    cells, I get the message that the "cell or chart is protected and therefore
    read only" and further tells me to unprotect before attempting the change.
    When I got to tools/protection/Unprotect Sheet I get the request for a
    password. I don't know the password as the file was created by another. I
    have tried "save as", from tools making sure there are no passwords, and
    created a file with a new name but the protection is still there! Help!

  2. #2

    Re: Remove file Protection from an Excel workbook file from others

    Visit JE McGimpsey's site:
    http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Remove file Protection from an Excel workbook file from others

    whistler

    Note: there are 3 types of Protection which can all be passworded.

    1. WorkSheet protection from Tools>Protection
    2. WorkBook protection from Tools>Protection
    3. File protection from File>Save As>Tools>General Options(XL2002)

    And a fourth one if you count Protection on a VBA Project

    Which are you referring to?

    If worksheet or workbook only, these are easy to crack.

    File and VBA not so simple.

    See John McGimpsey's site for instructions.

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP