border format causing the doc to be hundreds of pages long

  1. #1
    Grace
    Guest

    border format causing the doc to be hundreds of pages long

    I have a spreadsheet that is about 6 pages long.
    Evidently, someone has applied a border to some cells , that seem to go on
    and on forever.

    Therefore, the worksheet looks to be hundreds and hundreds of pages... all
    the extra pages have a bold line down
    one of the columes.

    I have tried to select all the range and get rid of the bold , but the
    spreadsheet goes on forever.. I never get to the end, so the page length
    keeps getting longer.

    I know there must be an easy solution...

    Anyone??

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Oggie Ben Doggie
    Guest

    Re: border format causing the doc to be hundreds of pages long

    Hi Grace,
    Try changing your print area to select only the spreadsheet that
    contains data? Just a thought... unfortunately I haven't run into this
    so I'm not 100% sure what else to try.

    How extensive is the formatting on the spreadsheet? If you're
    desperate, you can select the entire sheet, click Edit > Clear >
    Formats... that should clear *EVERYTHING* including number formatting,
    column formatting etc...

    That might not be what you want.

    Hope I Helped.

    OBD

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: border format causing the doc to be hundreds of pages long

    It's a good habit to specifically set the print range:

    Select the range you want printed.
    File>Print Area>Set Print Area

    That way Excel won't just print the used area of the sheet.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: border format causing the doc to be hundreds of pages long

    Hi Grace,
    Applying borders to the entire worksheet will not change the lastused
    cell indication (Ctrl+End)

    The first thing I would try would be to make sure that the problem is
    not from inserting and deleting rows where Excel only seems to
    remember how far you had extended range and never fixes it.

    Run the DeleteUnused macro to fix all worksheets to see if that
    solves your problem -- Debra Dalgleish's site:
    Why do my scrollbars go to row 500 -- my data ends in cell E50?,
    otherwise, ...

    Someone has placed a cell with formula or constant or even a space
    in some out of the way area on the spreadsheet. Often caused by someone
    trying to extend a format or conditional format with the fill handle rather
    than formatting the entire column. Or by someone trying to use
    a hidden formula in an out of the way place on the worksheet rather
    than in a different worksheet.
    --
    ---
    HTH,

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: border format causing the doc to be hundreds of pages long

    Setting the print area is a last resort, I would not consider it as
    solving the problem. Use of Print Preview is always a good idea.
    Then if you have a problem, first try to fix, if you are short on time then
    and only then would I suggest using Print Area range just so you can print.

    "Ron Coderre" <[email protected]> wrote ...

  6. #6
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: border format causing the doc to be hundreds of pages long

    In general, I try to assess "what's the worst that could happen". With
    printing, I run across too many users who confidently click the Print icon
    and don't realize that 500 sheets are pumping out of the printer.

    Typically, I use a 2-pronged approach:
    1)I remove the print icon from the toolbar and leave the Print Preview icon.
    That way, if they (I) accidentally click the Print Preview icon, I only get
    a preview. And if I really intend to print, I hold down the [Shift] key when
    I click it, which as you know converts it to the Print icon

    2)Set the print area...just in case. That's probably because I deal with
    quite a few financial professionals who create huge analyses, but only need
    to print specific report sections of their worksheets.

    Your thoughts?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  7. #7
    Grace
    Guest

    Re: border format causing the doc to be hundreds of pages long

    I can set the print range and that will fix the printing problem,
    but I would like to know how to fix the problem.
    I have tried everything except the unformating the entire sheet....
    How many rows are in a sheet anyway... I don't seem to get to the end....

    The formating errors don't seem to be too bad, but enough to make a lot of
    work to fix ...

    news:%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: border format causing the doc to be hundreds of pages long

    That is why I suggested the macro in my previous reply.

  9. #9
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: border format causing the doc to be hundreds of pages long

    Most of my thoughts I already gave.

    I certainly agree with removing the print button, as you can't
    see what you are doing, you might be creating a file instead.

    If your print area is too small then you will likely lose some of
    your printed report in the future if not careful.