how to have result field blank

  1. #1
    Ellen
    Guest

    how to have result field blank

    In a workbook, have a data entry sheet that is protected except for fields
    for answers. These fields (shaded yellow) are formatted as accounting. The
    yellow fields on the Data Entry worksheet populate other cells in the Webinar
    Cost Calculator and Webinar ROI Calculator worksheets. If a cell on the Data
    Entry screen is blank, I want it to return a blank, not a 0 or a -, which
    it's currently doing. Can excel format the result when there is no data to
    return a blank?

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: how to have result field blank

    Use a custom format so that a zero value generates nothing. If you want the
    accounting format, with this one exception, set the accounting format. Then
    Format > Cells. On the number tab select Custom category. In the text box
    you'll see the incantation that equates to the accounting format. Clear the
    part following the second semicolon and click OK.

  3. #3
    Scott Wagner
    Guest

    RE: how to have result field blank

    Not sure if I completely understand, but you can have a blank result in a
    cell as part of your formula. Just set a condition (IF statement). Like so:

    Let's say we want cell B3 to have the result of A1/B1, but only if B1 has a
    value in it. The formula in B3 would be =IF(B1="","",A1/B1)

    It breaks down like this =IF(KeyCell=Nothing,DoNothing,OtherwiseCalculate)

    Make sense?

    Let me know if you have questions.