Matching Names in two different workbooks

  1. #1
    Angela
    Guest

    Matching Names in two different workbooks

    I have 2 workbooks. The first workbook is a compilation of approximately
    15,000 contacts. The second workbook is a copy of the first. Someone
    eliminated a very important column in the second workbook. This column
    contained the employee name that the contact originated from. I can not just
    there have been multiple revisions, deletions and additions to the second
    work book.

    I need a way to match each name in the second workbook to their name in the
    original workbook so that I can capture the origin for that contact name
    which is only contained in the first workbook. Any idea how I can do that?

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Matching Names in two different workbooks

    Look at VLOOKUP - this will link the two files. Come back if you have
    questions; we can show you how to use Paste Special to break the link
    between the two files
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Angela
    Guest

    Re: Matching Names in two different workbooks

    Ok - this is almost what I need. Except that for each contact name in the
    one sheet, I need to have the origin of the contact displayed from the other
    sheet. For instance, I have John Doe, 1234 What Street, What City, etc. in
    sheet 2. I need to find the same John Doe in sheet 1 and have whatever is in
    the "Origin" column of sheet1 displayed in the "Origin" Column of sheet 2.