comparing tables/vectors

  1. #1
    Uka P.
    Guest

    comparing tables/vectors

    Hi there :-)

    I have two columns with numeric data [but the kind of data shouldn't
    matter, I suppose]. They're of _different_ lenght, but there are empty
    cells below both of them.
    I want to compare the columns and get the _number_ [amount] of mutual
    elements as a result.

    Ie.: if A={2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 23, 25, 46}, and
    B={1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 46}
    than Result=4

    If I defined the columns to have the same lenght [including some of the
    empty cells below] would the empty cells be counted as well? I wouldn't
    like that :-)

    Thanks in advance, regards.

    --
    Uka P.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: comparing tables/vectors

    Assuming the elements are listed in cols A and B,
    with col B's items within say, B1:B100

    Put in the formula bar for say, C1,
    then array-enter the formula (i.e. press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):

    =SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(MATCH(TRANSPOSE(B1:B100),A:A,0)))

    Adapt the range to suit ..

    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: comparing tables/vectors

    Try this:

    If your values are in Cells A1:B10

    C1: =SUMPRODUCT(--COUNTIF(A1:A10,B1:B10))
    Note: Commit that array formula by holding down [Ctrl]+[Shift] when you
    press [Enter]

    Returns the number of common elements from Col_A and Col_B

    Note: There can be no repeats withing the same column.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: comparing tables/vectors

    Not a big deal Ron but you don't need to array enter this

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: comparing tables/vectors

    Thanks Peo...I appreciate the feedback.
    Sometimes I forget to test if CSE is not necessary.

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  6. #6
    Uka P.

    Ron Coderre wrote:

    >Try this:
    >
    >If your values are in Cells A1:B10
    >
    >C1: =SUMPRODUCT(--COUNTIF(A1:A10,B1:B10))
    >

    >Does that help?

    Nope :-(
    My excel doesn't get it, it says the formula is wrong, because 'cauntif"
    needs to have specified data and conditions.

    Maybe the problem is with langauge - you wrote it in English, and I work
    with Polish version of excel, so I have to translate the formula into
    Polish. I know what "countif" is in Polish, but I can't figure out the
    "sumproduct" - which I suppose is not the same as "sum"? Why don't you
    paste here the article according to "sumproduct" form your English
    excels' help, so I can match it to any of my "sums"?

    I also don't get the usage of "--". Am I supposed to put it exactly as
    you wrote, exchanging only English "countif" to Polish "licz.jezeli"? Or
    is it a symbol standing for something different, which I didn't get?

    Thanks for your help. :-)

    regards,

    --
    Uka P.

  7. #7
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: comparing tables/vectors

    From English XL Help:

    > SUMPRODUCT
    > Multiplies corresponding components in the given arrays, and returns the sum
    > of those products.
    > Syntax
    > SUMPRODUCT(array1,array2,array3, ...)
    > Array1, array2, array3, ... are 2 to 30 arrays whose components you want to
    > multiply and then add.

    for help on the --, see

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/doubleneg.html

  8. #8
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: comparing tables/vectors

    Try this:
    First Issue:
    Lookup SUM in Excel Help.
    Under the SUM topic there should be a link to "See Also".
    Click that....On my version, the following are listed:
    AVERAGE
    COUNTA
    Math and Trigonometry functions
    PRODUCT
    SUMPRODUCT

    Hopefully, your version will include the Polish version of SUMPRODUCT.

    Second Issue:
    Many functions return TRUE or FALSE. SUMPRODUCT will not recongnize those as
    numbers and cannot add/multiply them. By prepending -- to the function we
    force Excel to convert TRUE/FALSE to 1 and 0, respectively.
    The first - converts TRUE to -1.
    The 2nd - converts the -1 to 1.

    However, in the case of COUNTIF, that function actually DOES return a
    numeric value so the -- was unnecessary. I'm sure I just included it out of
    habit.

    Hopefully, that helps solve your problem.

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  9. #9
    Uka P.

    Ron Coderre wrote:

    >Try this: [...]
    >
    >Hopefully, your version will include the Polish version of SUMPRODUCT.

    No, it wouldn't. But I found it anyway according to the definition that
    JE McGimpsey pasted. :-)
    It's SUMA.ILOCZYNOW [thought you might need it in some time ;-D]

    >Hopefully, that helps solve your problem.

    YES!!!! YES!!! And thankyouthankyouthankyou! :-))

    I'm trying to subvert the probability theory and hit the Jackpot in
    Polish Lotto by the way [both unsuccesfully so far ;-))))))], so this
    formula is of VITAL meaning to me :-))))))

    Thank you once again for your help.

    BTW - I thought I knew XL! One learns throughout all his life... *sigh*

    Uka P.