How do I set up Data entry to match My Application Form

  1. #1
    Mr. Ziggy
    Guest

    How do I set up Data entry to match My Application Form

    I have a specific Application Form that I must fill out by hand at each
    interview. I have created the form in Excel to allow me to type the info
    into the appropriate fields. This however labor intensive and it is easy to
    make a mistake that may change a different field.

    Can I create separate listing or database (similar to the mail merge
    concept) that will just drop the info into the proper cells on the form with
    out me touching the form itself?

  2. #2

    Re: How do I set up Data entry to match My Application Form

    You could create an Input sheet. I'd name it Input <bg>.

    Then in column A, put a nice description. In column B, put your entry:

    A B
    FirstName Ziggy
    LastName Stardust
    Salutation Mr (or Ms.)
    etc

    Then on your Forms sheet, you'd use a formula that points back to that input
    sheet.

    =if(input!b1="","",input!b1)
    (to grab the first name)

    You could even protect the forms sheet so that you can't overwrite the formulas:
    tools|protection|protect sheet

  3. #3
    Mr. Ziggy
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up Data entry to match My Application Form

    Fantastic... works great. I did modify the command to just read =Input!B1
    because I didn't quite understand how to work the formula you gave me.

    For example: =if(input!b1="","",input!b1). If I am only transfering
    information, Why use an "if" statement. When I put this in the form cell,
    and put a sample information 1234 on cell b1 of the input page, I got a REF#
    error.

    I am assuming that I am supposed to have more information in the
    =if(input!b1="","",input!b1) string... perhaps in the quotes? I'm just not
    familiar enough with the formula.

    Heres how I am translating it in my mind... If Cell B1 on the sheet titled
    "Input" equals... at this point I'm unsure what the quotes are to
    respresent... then... again make the cell value... again not sure what the
    quotes represent...if not, then input the information in Cell B1 of the
    "Input" sheet.

    I'm also a bit embarrassed to admit the I am a little confused about the
    <bg> symbol you placed after the suggestion to name the input page Input <bg>

    Like I said the direct input formula works fine for what I'm doing right
    now, I'm just afraid that I will run into a situation where your full formula
    will be necessary.

    Thanks so much for you assistance.

    Mr. Ziggy

  4. #4

    Re: How do I set up Data entry to match My Application Form

    =input!b1
    will return what's in B1 of the Input sheet.

    But if that cell is empty, you'll see a 0.

    So
    =if(input!b1="","",input!b1)
    says to check what's in B1. If it's empty (""), then show nothing (""). But if
    there's something there, show it instead.

    I think you made a typo to get the #ref! error.

    And <bg> just mean big grin. I'd name the input sheet "Input" was kind of a
    feeble attempt at humor.

  5. #5
    Mr. Ziggy
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up Data entry to match My Application Form

    OMG!!!! <bg> means "big grin". Duh! LOL... sometimes I look at things too
    deeply. I though there it be some techno. term I'm unfamiliar with. Perhaps
    I need to send myself a (da) for dumbass. LOL

    Thanks so much Dave for your help. That made things go so much smoother.
    The next step is going to be finding a practical way to view the input page.
    I'd love to be able to bring up individual data entry pages. Just type the
    info for this section then hit the "next" button and get the next section.
    For now I just have the data fields set up in bordered cells all on one page.

  6. #6

    Re: How do I set up Data entry to match My Application Form

    Someday, you may want to consider using a userform.

    Debra Dalgleish has some get started instructions for userforms at:
    http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html

  7. #7
    Laura Berry
    Guest

  8. #8
    Laura Berry
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up Data entry to match My Application Form

    Dave:
    My data is in Columns and I have at least 50 seperate "merges" to do. Do I
    have to change the reference for each form? i.e, the first form looks for
    b1, the second form will need the data in b2, the third, b3, and so forth.
    My data columns have First, Last etc.

    A B C
    1. First Last Address
    2. Mary Smith 123 lane dirv
    3. Larry Jones 456 Honeysuckle lane

    Thanks for your help
    Laura

  9. #9

    Re: How do I set up Data entry to match My Application Form

    If you only had 32 fields, you could use Data|Form for data entry.

    You may want to look at John Walkenbach's enhanced dataform:
    http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm

  10. #10
    Danielle44
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up Data entry to match My Application Form

    How do you take the data and populate a seperate sheet/form?

  11. #11
    Danielle44
    Guest

  12. #12

    Re: How do I set up Data entry to match My Application Form

    Uhhh. Huh?

    Personally, I'd do my best to keep all the data in one worksheet. Then if I
    needed to split it up into separate sheets, I start from that consolidated
    sheet.

    Without knowing what you're really asking....

    You may want to try Ron de Bruin's Easyfilter:
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

    Or look at the way Debra Dalgleish does it:

    Debra's site:

    Create New Sheets from Filtered List -- uses an Advanced Filter to create
    separate sheet of orders for each sales rep visible in a filtered list; macro
    automates the filter. AdvFilterRepFiltered.xls 35 kb

    or

    Update Sheets from Master -- uses an Advanced Filter to send data from
    Master sheet to individual worksheets -- replaces old data with current.
    AdvFilterCity.xls 55 kb