How do I add symbols above the letters?

  1. #1
    Melbourne, Australia
    MS-Off Ver

    How do I add symbols above the letters?

    For example the symbol of average values (xaverage = x with a dash above it)

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How do I add symbols above the letters?

    I can't find what you're looking for on my PC (and I have a LOT of fonts).

    I recommend that you search Google for: math font
    (many of the fonts listed are free)

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: How do I add symbols above the letters?

    That type of formatting is not supported in Excel, but there are some
    fonts that have xbar in them

    xbar is Alt-0214 in the Math Ext font from
    http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html
    xbar is Alt-0120 in the MS Reference 1 font

    For equations, the Equation editor is easier and more flexible
    (Insert|Object|Microsoft Equation).

    Jerry

  4. #4
    vandenberg p
    Guest

    Re: How do I add symbols above the letters?

    You can see what fonts are installed and their character sets and
    look for ones that might work by using the utility:

    %SystemRoot%\System32\charmap.exe

    Just looking through the fonts on my system I could find Abar
    and a Ybar. Did not see an Xbar. If appropriate you could change
    to greek mu to denote an average.

    Charmap will popup and you can copy from it to your application.

    Also http://www.mathtype.com/en/dl/fonts/ will let you download
    a set of fonts if you can't find an math fonts on your system.

    Pieter Vandenberg

    : gpktm wrote:

    :> How do I add symbols above the letters?
    :>

  5. #5

    Re: How do I add symbols above the letters?

    And remember if you go the font route, that if you share the workbook with
    anyone else, they'll need to have that same font installed to see the same
    display as you.