Automatically Indicating Payments Due

  1. #1

    Question Automatically Indicating Payments Due

    I need to keep a fairly basic accounts receivable database and would like to know if there is a way for excel to automatically indicate when payments are due. I need to set it up so that I can enter when the invoice was sent and also when it is due. When the due date has arrived, I would like for excel to highlight the vendor that is due or change the color of the selection AUTOMATICALLY. Please let me know if this is possible and how it can be done!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Automatically Indicating Payments Due

    nicholea

    Answered this for you yesterday and posted but here it is again.....

    Format>Condtional Formatting is the way to go.

    Select the vendor due date cell(I'll call it C2) and CF>Formula is:

    =$C2=TODAY() + 2 The +2 gives two days notice that due date is coming soon.

    You can delete that if you want no notice.

    Note the $ sign to anchor the formula to Column C for copying down.

    Pick a color from the Format>Patterns and OK your way out.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3

    Question Still confused about indicating payment due...

    I'm sorry, I did not see your first response to my post, but thanks for answering it again. I still have been unable to accomplish what I was trying to do using the formula:

    =$C2=TODAY() +2

    I am new to excel and unfamiliar with formulas, so I'm not sure if I was supposed to input any additional information to make the formula work (other than the active cell information) When I entered the formula into a cell, sometimes the word TRUE would pop up and sometimes FALSE, which is not what I was hoping for. My spreadsheet has a column for the invoice date and a column for the invoice due date. Is this the formula I would use for the due date to turn a different color automatically once the date has arrived?
    I would really appreciate any additional step by step explanation you could give.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    pinmaster
    Guest
    Hi, the formula does not go into a cell, it goes into Conditional Formatting. Start by selecting your data....say A1:D100 then goto Format/Conditional Formatting, in the drop down menu select "formula is" and type your formula, the formula must reference the first row of your selection in order to work properly. Then click on the "Format" button and choose your format.

    Good Luck!
    JG

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Automatically Indicating Payments Due

    As Gord told you use format>conditional formatting>formula is and then put
    the formula there, look in help for conditional formatting

    Peo Sjoblom

    "nicholea" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...