EQUAL SIGN

  1. #1
    K Nguyen
    Guest

    EQUAL SIGN

    In excel 97, there was a shortcut button on the toolbar to insert the equal
    sign in a cell to convert that cell into a formula without changing the
    existing data on that cell (extremely useful shortcut for editing). Example
    cell contains 12345 (a number) and I want to convert it to +12345-12 (a
    formula). I used to be able to select this cell click on the equal sign
    shortcut button and enter -12 to get the desire result.

    I am currently using excel 2003 and that shortcut button is gone. There is
    an option to customize the toolbar to get the equal sign shortcut but when I
    click on this shortcut it erases the cell content and insert the equal sign
    (not very useful).

    Does anyone know of a way to insert the equal sign on a cell to convert it
    to a formula without the need to edit this cell by pressing F2 to edit the
    entire cell?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: EQUAL SIGN

    No, that functionality is gone to the chagrin of many users

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: EQUAL SIGN

    It is gone as of Excel version 2002.

    Not a well-liked or well-received change, I might add.

    Other than the F2 or double-click to edit directly in cell I know of no way to
    add the = sign without erasing cell contents.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP