drop down menus

  1. #1
    jagermeist1
    Guest

    drop down menus

    I am a new Excel user who has basically learned everyething I know by
    practicing and making MANY mistakes, but my question is: I use ddata
    validation to make drop down menus for particualar cells that I need the data
    in and I seem to be limited as to the amount of data I can use in the drop
    down menu. Is there any way I can make a drop down menu for cells that can
    accomodate "unlimited data"? These are basic speadsheets I am making but I
    need alot of selectons in a few of the drop down menus.

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: drop down menus

    If I gave my users a dropdown with hundreds of listed items, they'd come at
    me with torches and pitchforks.

    I think a workable alternative when you have that many options is to use
    Dependent Dropdowns. For instance, if you wanted users to select a name from
    a list of 500 employees, the first dropdown might be a selection of letters
    of the alphabet (A,B,C...Z), the second dropdown would list names that begin
    with that letter.

    For more information, see Debra Dalgleishs website:

    Is that something you'd consider using?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: drop down menus

    Hi!

    > I seem to be limited as to the amount of data I can use in the drop
    > down menu

    A data validation drop down list can contain 32,767 entries.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Nigel
    Guest

    Re: drop down menus

    Not if the data has been entered into a list within the Data Validation
    option from the toolbar which is probably what this guy has done. Then you
    get approx 20 items to list before it blocks the rest.
    ( not sure of the exact amount so please don't tell me im incorrect. it's
    only an estimate

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: drop down menus

    Two different methods of entering the list.

    1. Enter a cell range by pointing or naming and you get 32,767 entries as
    Biff states.

    2. Enter the list manually as a comma-delimited list and you are limited to
    255 characters in the dialog box.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP