Locking Formulas

  1. #1
    Portland, OR
    MS-Off Ver

    Locking Formulas

    Hello,

    I need to average 3 cells. However, whenever I add a new column, the formulas shift by a cell, but I dont want them to. How do I keep the formulas from changing?

    Example:

    Avg Cell F Cell G Cell H

    Now, I want to Avg Cell F-H

    However, when I insert a new cell to put this latest years numbers in I want what is currently in Cell H (Soon to be Cell I when I insert a column at Cell F) to drop out of the equation. I still want to Avg Cell F-H but Excel keeps shifting the formula to Cell G-I.

    Ok, hope that makes sense. How do I lock the formula?

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Locking Formulas

    Hi!

    Try this:

    =AVERAGE(INDIRECT("F1:H1"))

    That formula will always refer to cells F1:H1.

    Biff

    "Thadar" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Locking Formulas

    "Biff" wrote:
    > .. =AVERAGE(INDIRECT("F1:H1"))

    If we need to copy down from the starting cell,
    one variation on Biff's suggestion above to try in say, K1:
    =AVERAGE(OFFSET(INDIRECT("F1"),ROW(A1)-1,,,3))
    K1 could then be copied down to return correspondingly
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Locking Formulas

    Another variant, placed in K1, copied down:
    =AVERAGE(OFFSET(INDIRECT("F1:H1"),ROW(A1)-1,))
    --
    Rgds
    Max