Data Validation - Custom

  1. #1
    Mary Ann
    Guest

    Data Validation - Custom

    How do I use the custom validation. I want to enter a validation which does
    not allow the cells in column G to be more than the cell on the same row in
    column E + 50.

    I have selected all the cells, gone to Data Menu, Validation. Then on the
    Settings tab picked Custom and then need to type the formula. I’ve treid a
    few but can’t seem to get it right.

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Data Validation - Custom

    Try this:
    With G1 as the active cell....
    Data>Data Validation
    Allow: Custom
    Formula: =G1<=(E1+50)

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - Custom

    Mary Ann wrote:
    > How do I use the custom validation. I want to enter a validation which does
    > not allow the cells in column G to be more than the cell on the same row in
    > column E + 50.
    >
    > I have selected all the cells, gone to Data Menu, Validation. Then on the
    > Settings tab picked Custom and then need to type the formula. I’ve treid a
    > few but can’t seem to get it right.

    Mary Ann,

    Select G1, Data>Validation, Custom type and add a formula of

    =G1<=E1+50

    Then select the other cells including G1, go back to Data>Validation,
    and you will get a message asking to extend. Say yes.

    HTH

    Bob

  4. #4
    Mary Ann
    Guest

    RE: Data Validation - Custom

    Works fab - thank you. I had forgotten to include the G1 !!

  5. #5
    Mary Ann
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - Custom