why my Excel paste as text, coworker paste as numbers?

  1. #1
    Ian Elliott
    Guest

    why my Excel paste as text, coworker paste as numbers?

    Thanks for any help.
    I have copied and pasted some rows of an Access database to an Excel
    workbook. Excel pasted the numbers as text. But when a coworker did on her
    computer, Excel pasted them as numbers. And a text like (0.1105), negative
    0.1105, was pasted as (1), negative one, on my computer. This means I can't
    just change the number to text, as the value has been totally changed.
    I looked in Tools>Options>Edit to see if there might be something there, but
    I couldn't find anything relevant. Any ideas?
    I can do Tools>Office Links>Analyze it with Excel, but everytime I do a row,
    it wants to open a new file, and I have about 20 non-contiguous rows, so this
    is a bit tedious.
    Thanks again.

  2. #2
    Kris
    Guest

    Re: why my Excel paste as text, coworker paste as numbers?

    Ian Elliott wrote:
    > Thanks for any help.
    > I have copied and pasted some rows of an Access database to an Excel
    > workbook. Excel pasted the numbers as text. But when a coworker did on her
    > computer, Excel pasted them as numbers. And a text like (0.1105), negative
    > 0.1105, was pasted as (1), negative one, on my computer. This means I can't
    > just change the number to text, as the value has been totally changed.
    > I looked in Tools>Options>Edit to see if there might be something there, but
    > I couldn't find anything relevant. Any ideas?
    > I can do Tools>Office Links>Analyze it with Excel, but everytime I do a row,
    > it wants to open a new file, and I have about 20 non-contiguous rows, so this
    > is a bit tedious.
    > Thanks again.

    Check your regional settings in windows. What do you use as a decimal
    separator?
    Must be the same as used in your "text".